“For me, Pilates starts with honesty and acceptance of the present bodily condition, further discovering its mechanics, delighting in the changing outlook and aspiring to achieve new challenges.”
Thea has an extensive background in creative arts and design, having worked the majority of her adult years as a skilled Gold and Silversmith in Melbourne. Sixteen years of manufacturing handcrafted fine jewellery come with postural side effects, and after several diagnoses of chronic health conditions, she sought physical therapy to manage these.
Thea began her Pilates practice in 2013 through visiting an osteopath and Pilates teacher for treatment of upper back and neck pain and was soon attending studio classes every week.
She found significant changes in overall health and wellbeing, and was able to balance a busier work schedule due to improved physicality and reduced fatigue. For Thea, regular Pilates practice offers a deep level of physical awareness, personal growth and an ever-expanding urge to learn more about the body and self-care.
After several years of Pilates practice, Thea developed a desire to work directly with people and help them discover the benefits of Pilates as she had done. She completed her Diploma of Professional Pilates Instruction in early 2021.
She is currently working as a studio and mat-work instructor at Aligned for Life in Melbourne CBD, and Moonee Ponds.
Thea’s passion is to assist and empathise with others who experience limitations from chronic pain and illness, and enable people to maintain a functional body where pain would otherwise limit them.
Her love of creative movement is complimented by the broad scope which Pilates enables the body to physically master.
- Diploma of Professional Pilates Instruction, 2021
- Advanced Diploma of Gold and Silversmithing, NMIT
- Drawing, making, gardening, food, art, animals, good company & going bush!
- Thea has an interest in theatrical costume and singing. She continues to design and make jewellery from home, and owns 42 indoor plants (and counting!)
- Aligned for Life CBD & Moonee Ponds
- 2019 Teaching Pilates, and counting
- 2013 Practicing the Pilates method and counting